So my last post was mostly about convention. Not much to report really since then. I have finally decided to accept that December is just never going to be a fantastic month in the ministry, especially not for studies! There is always more work available in December, so half of your studies don't study, and the other half only study once or twice in the whole month! So it's been a bit hard sometimes to find the motivation to stay out long in the afternoons, but overall it hasn't been too bad of a month.
Sadly this trend isn't just evident in our territory. It's also reflected in meeting attendance and support in the ministry. Unfortunately many get caught up in the opportunity of making some extra money in December and other things get pushed aside, things that should be priorities. But, the month, and year for that fact, are almost over so hopefully January will see a surge in activity!
The weather this time of year is simply delightful, most of the time. It's only been in the 80's most days, and it gets cool in the evenings and at night. Been even using a blanket some nights. Right now there is a lovely breeze blowing through the house. I really do enjoy the weather this time of year. It did suddenly get hot for a few days, but overall it's a good month for weather. January and February should be too, and then the heat begins again!
![]() |
| It's amazing how low 70's can feel cool! Our bodies are amazingly adaptable. |
Serving down here has it's challenges and sacrifices, but we do also enjoy the perks too! We got a deal similar to Groupon and so we had Papa John's for dinner a couple of weeks ago! They're not quite as generous with the toppings here, but the garlic dipping sauce came direct from KY (who knew KY was where Papa John's dipping sauce is made?!) and it was deeeeelicious!
We also recently enjoyed a wonderful day at the Laguna Beach Club. We get a discount, so it's about $4 for the day, per person with unlimited free coffee, use of their grills and kitchen (you can take all your own food and drinks) and use of their kayaks. It's so nice to have a place like this nearby. Not the ocean, but I actually prefer it. We had a great day there with a bunch of other needgreaters. It's nice to use our Monday's off to do something like that now and then instead of just the usual chores.
![]() |
| The view from Laguna Beach Club |
We finally got some more pictures hung, so the house feels a bit more like home. My parents are coming next month and bringing a couple of posters I got printed of pictures I've taken so that should complete the "decorating"!
![]() |
| Our new picture wall using string and decorative paper clips. Someone told me there's an Esurance commercial that looks a lot like this. I looked it up online - hahaha, they were right! |
I really enjoyed the day's text the other day. It was talking about how Jacob must have been concerned as to whether his trip to find a wife would be a success. But then Jehovah told him in a dream that he was going to be with him. It then applied it to serving in a foreign land. And it's so true, Jehovah takes such good care of us down here.
There is one family in particular who take extra good care of us. The whole congregation does, but particularly this one family. We park our bike in the safety of their front yard almost every day for service, and whenever they can they feed us. They have very little. They live in a house which is basically one room divided into two. Probably their living space is the size of most people's living room in the developed world, but they always share with us, even when they barely have enough to cover their own needs. I had a specific example that I remember thinking I'd share in the blog, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was!
Wednesday was actually the day that the text I mentioned above was used. And the same day Jehovah reminded me how true it is! We did early morning witnessing with the public witnessing stand, and I didn't want to bother the young sister who lives nearby to ask for chairs. So we were standing, but I was so tired I said to Charley that I wasn't sure I'd be able to stand much longer. Literally 30 seconds later, the young sister appeared, and asked if we wanted chairs! Around 8am Charley was getting ready to head to the group, and another sister was coming to join me for the rest of the morning. I had thought to myself how awesome it would be if she showed up with coffee. We hadn't had any that morning, and there just isn't anywhere to buy a cup of coffee in our territory. I thought to myself, maybe Jehovah will take pity on me like he did with the chairs. And what do you know?! 10 minutes later the sister shows up with coffee!!! I must have looked really pitiful from heaven that day!! Hahahaaa!!! So yes, Jehovah takes wonderful care of us!
![]() |
| The daughter and niece of the family who are always feeding us! They dressed up as Charley and me! Roxana swore she could see properly with my glasses on! Maybe she needs them! |
And here's a random sight from our territory!!!!! I'm keeping an eye out for the flat screen tv trees. Not sure what part of the city they're in yet.
![]() |
| Our fan quit working a couple of weeks ago. Charley never did get it going again! |
This was our first Christmas season here at this house we're in now, so we were curious to see how much noisier it would be. We used to live in a super quiet residential area, but now we're in the city, and Masaya is notorious for being noisy and celebrating noisily every celebration you could possibly come up with.
We were pleased to discover that we live in a really quiet neighborhood. The fact that we live in an alley, not a main street, probably helps. We had half an hour of explosions at midnight on the 24th - that's what people do here. But no parties, no noise at all really. It was as quiet as where we used to live. So that was a relief! Some friends who live in a really noisy part of town spent the night and said they hadn't slept that peacefully in quite a while!
It was fun this month to see Nicaragua featured online and in print. There's a picture on www.jw.org homepage of Las Pilas, Nicaragua which is about 20 minutes from where we live. And in the Watchtower study last Sunday the picture of a brother at a public witnessing stand was taken right here in Masaya. The brother witnessing is a special pioneer in our circuit who a few months back graduated from the first ever Bible School for Christian Couples held here in Nicaragua. (He's also in a picture in the 2003 Yearbook that covers the history of Nicaragua) And the brother he's witnessing to is in his congregation and was interviewed on our convention about the lifestyle changes he made when he came in the truth. So it was pretty exciting to see that picture in the Watchtower!
Well, that's really all there is to say. I can't think of much else to report. Keep up the good work everyone and see you around!
I leave you with a picture of Charley and me at our friend's wedding:








Hi Rachel! Although i am enjoying following u on instagram, i still REALLY enjoyed reading this, so don't give up the blog! Glad to know Nica has also had their 1st graduating class of SKE (School for Kingdom Evangelisers), pretty sure that's what u meant. Glad to have some background to go with the pics. Enjoy ur chilly days!
ReplyDeleteActually it was BSCC bc it was held towards the end of last service year before the change to SKE! Glad you enjoy the blog. I'll definitely keep it going!
DeleteMe too!!! I'm working on getting back to blogging though. I miss the stories ;-) Thanks for the updates as always.
ReplyDeleteYep know what you mean... I havent even done a post about our international convention in Melbourne or our Bethel visits or me learning Chinese by default and having some awesome experiences!... But do have some BIG NEWS - And no Im not pregnant!
ReplyDelete