Haga clic aqui para traducir nuestro blog a español

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Maybe the next one will have pictures!

So, almost 3 months have gone by and what a lot of changes both on a personal level, and on an organizational level. We live in such exciting times in Jehovah’s organization. And we’re just doing our little bit to try and keep up with the chariot.

The projector that we bought on our last trip has been such a wonderful blessing for the congregation, and not just our congregation, but the projector now lives at the hall so all three congregations benefit from it. I mentioned in my last blog post that we showed the August broadcast. The turnout wasn’t all that great though. So in September we had it right after our Sunday meeting and almost everyone, including students, stayed to watch it. That was all it took! Of course, Nicaragua was featured in the September broadcast, and just 30 minutes down the road too, so that really was exciting for the local friends. I think the August turnout wasn’t that great partly because so many just didn’t understand what this “broadcast” thing was all about! But once they saw September, now they’re always asking when the next one is, and you can just feel the buzz in the hall every month when it’s time! Jehovah really is richly blessing his people in these last days and providing just the encouragement we need. Up until now the song at the end of each broadcast was in English, with Spanish subtitles. But imagine everyone’s surprise and excitement when November’s song was SUNG IN SPANISH!!!!! Very thrilling! Not sure if that was just a one off since they were making an appeal to inactive ones. We’ll have to wait and see what December brings.

I also mentioned our little trip away to Managua to the English congregation where we got to spend the weekend with a couple of Geordies serving there. We had a FANTASTIC time with them! So very encouraging to see the “not-so-young” making such sacrifices to serve so far away from home in such a very different culture. The first thing they said when we walked through the door was, “do you want a cup of tea, kettle’s on”. Ahhhhhhh I felt like I was back home, except for the sweltering heat!

In October we had a lovely Regional Convention. We had a peak of about 2400 which is pretty much the max amount that will fit in the assembly hall. On Saturday we had 30 baptized, including a couple in their late-50’s from our congregation. Charley had the privilege of giving two talks and did a very nice job, although I may be a little biased on that score! Between the two talks he also had 4 participants, 3 of whom are in our congregation, and two of whom I don’t think have been on an assembly program before so that was exciting! Charley interviewed our dear sister Francis who was in the hospital a while ago with the threat of getting her leg amputated. In the end they only took off three toes, but it’s a long, slow recovery. She also suffered the murder of her husband about 18 months ago, and since they didn’t have children, she’s been left alone to support herself. Of course her spiritual family has taken care of her, and her example of faith is of great encouragement to us all in the congregation and circuit.

Also in October the youngest son of the family that we were first came to visit here in 2010 got married. I got talked in to taking his wedding pictures and it was so nice to spend the day with them all. It’s like being with family when we’re with them since we know them from back in Indy. Also, the next day, another of their son’s, and his wife, graduated from the first class of SKE held here at our Educational Center, behind our assembly hall. It used to be the Nicaragua branch, but now has been repurposed. There were 22 graduates, including 4 single sisters. It was my first theocratic school graduation ceremony live, so it was all very exciting!

We’re also enjoying the privilege of working on Thursday’s in the Educational Center kitchen. I’m not sure how much of an asset I am, but Charley has experience from his Bethel days, and I’m learning to make myself useful! I really enjoy it. We worked for a few months in the assembly hall, and now since about 6 weeks ago we’ve been in the kitchen. There is currently a class in session, so we get to see the students briefly for an hour after lunch when some come to do their work assignments in the kitchen.

And it’s funny how sacrifices always lead to unexpected blessings. At first, I wasn’t just super excited about the idea of volunteering one day a week at the assembly hall/educational center. But we decided we should go ahead and apply. Of course, I’ve really enjoyed it, and as a result of it we are living in a lovely new little house!

As I mentioned in my last blog post the house we were living in went up for sale. It took a little longer to sell than expected, but last weekend we made the move. The house we’re in now belongs to the couple who take care of the assembly hall. I don’t think they’ve ever actually lived in it, but they built it to have available whenever they may need it. Now, if we hadn’t started working there, (and if I didn’t talk such a lot), they would never have known of our need, and we’d never have got the chance to live in this house. It hasn’t been a week yet but we’re pretty much settled in and absolutely loving it! We live right next door to the owner’s fleshly sister and her family, who are also witnesses. And in true Nicaraguan style not a day has gone by that they haven’t brought us something to eat or drink! And they have dogs who are really sweet, but pretend to be vicious when people they don’t know come, which makes us feel safe. And it’s at the end of a dirt alley where there aren’t really any other houses, but lots of trees, so it’s sooooooo much cooler than the other houses we’ve lived in here. It’s smaller, but we feel so at home in it.

There have also been a couple of construction projects going on that we’ve been to on numerous occasions. One Kingdom Hall is now finished, and the other will be done before the end of December I think. It’s hard, physical work in the sun, but it’s always a fun time working with brothers and sisters from different areas.

Our congregation also continues to grow. My study, Sonia, became a publisher at the end of September. She is doing really well and already conducts a Bible study with a lady she found door to door. Her little boy, Max, also loves the ministry and always looks so cute with his hat and briefcase! She also gave her first talk on the TMS this week. I was her householder and she did a GREAT job! About a week after she became a publisher, another lady, 70-year-old Miriam, was approved too. Then two weeks ago Pablo became a publisher. He used to have really long, long hair and a beard, but it’s all gone now and he looks really happy to be part of the congregation. He even went to the construction project this week too. And then just this Tuesday night, Isaias was approved to be a publisher! So we’ve had 4 new publishers in just the last 3 months!


Well, I’m sure there are many more stories I could tell, but I think that’s more than enough for now. I don’t think blog posts are supposed to be this long, so if you made it to the end, you’re a true friend! 

2 comments:

  1. I know just how u felt attending the SKE graduation! Same here. It's so funny that ur in food service too. Hard work, but worth it. The thing that impressed me most from my time @ the Palm Coast educational facility was that all the students i met didn't care what their assignments were, or where they were sent, they were just happy to be busy serving Jehovah. U hear about it, but to see that in action made a huge impression on me. Keep up the excellent work. I'm so glad Jehovah is looking out for u guys, especially when u go ahead & do something u didn't really want to. Isn't he awesome that way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to read of your experience, thanks so much for sharing. May Jehovah continue to bless your efforts!

    ReplyDelete