So, today is Monday already. How time flies! I finally got a bit of quiet time to write another post. The hard part is remembering what exactly we did and when! Just for reference when I talk about Leyla in this blog, she is the sister whose house we’re staying in down there. Just so you can follow my stories!!
Friday – hmmm…………I can’t separate one day from the next. I think Friday Leyla’s niece Claudia arrived to stay with her dad who lives two doors down from us. She lives with her mam the rest of the time about 20 minutes from here. So, she’s been with us since then. I think we just went grocery shopping, upacked, bought hangers to hang stuff up. Oh yeah, that was a funny thing that happened. Well, I thought it was. Before we came I asked Leyla if she had “ganchos” in the house – hangers, at least that’s what I learned to call them. So she said they did so I didn’t need to bring any. So on Friday I asked Charley to ask Leyla for the ganchos. So off he went downstairs and came bag with a bag of clothes pins that you use to hang your clothes on the line to dry! I said “What are we supposed to do with those” and Charley just laughed, shrugged his shoulders and said he didn’t really know!! Well, turns out that for Leyla ganchos are clothes pins and I forget the word she uses for hangers. So, once we established what kind of ganchos I wanted, it turned out there aren’t any extra in the house!!! So we had to go buy some. Except here they call them perchas – like a perch a bird sits on I guess! Spanish is just like English – each country has its own words for certain things which can cause humorous confusion sometimes!!
Saturday, Charley took Leyla and Claudia to get their nails done, and then Leyla went to the dentist – her nephews wife is a dentist so she went there. Got a cleaning done for like $40 – I think I’ll go before we come back to the US too. Cheaper here than back home. So while they were all out I stayed home and learned how to wash clothes from Eda, the lady who comes here to clean. So now I know how. I have the red knuckles to prove that I did some of it myself!!
Saturday evening we went back to the same congregation we went to on Thursday just because it was easier to get to in the rental car and the time worked well with our schedule this week. It was a lovely meeting. We got there a few minutes before it started and had to sit in the very front row. Had to look up to the speaker! He was from Spain, well originally. He didn’t travel from Spain to give the talk! It was excellent. And the WT study was good. Enjoyed it and met a few more of the congregation, and got a phone number to call if we want to go out in service with them this week since we haven’t settled anywhere yet, at least we could get ourselves out until we find a congregation and know their schedule for field service.
| I washed those shorts and tops by hand all by myself! |
Sunday we went to Granada. It’s a nice, touristy town. We went out on Lake Managua in a boat for a tour of the islands in the lake. Charley and I did the same tour last year, but this time the water was a little choppy and I got a bit seasick! Not much, just enough to be glad when the tour was over and we were back on dry land! I got some good pictures of the monkeys on isla de los monos (Monkey Island). I have some from last year too, but maybe got a couple of better ones this time. I didn’t take a lot of pictures though because I was low on battery, but mostly because I just needed to sit still and look straight ahead so as not to get sick! Once back on dry land we had lunch, shopped a little, then came home via the mall. While in the mall we saw a cheap HP printer so we decided to buy it. It was about $35 including the initial ink cartridges, so now we can print stuff out. Charley forgot to bring his talk outlines, so the printer will come in handy so that he can print them out again!
Today we’re just running errands mostly. Nothing too exciting. I say that like everything else I’ve blogged about so far has been exciting!!! We were supposed to be getting the truck today, but now it’ll be tomorrow they said. Mañana, Mañana, Mañana, that’s what they always say. So who knows when we’ll get it. Mañana hopefully!!!
So, one piece of rather exciting news is that I have my first bible study already!!!! Leyla’s niece, Claudia. She’s spent the last few days with us, and Leyla has been talking to her and encouraging her to study. She came to the meeting with us on Saturday too. I tried to suggest I show her how the study works the other day but she looked the other way and started talking to someone else!! But last night she asked me if we’d be going to the meeting again on Saturday so that she could come with us!!! She said it totally out of the blue too! I think she’s starting to feel more comfortable with me. So then Leyla came in and said that Claudia’s dad said he’d bring her to the house once a week to have her study because she can't have it at her mam's house. So, this morning I printed out Chapter One of the Teach book because I didn’t have an extra one, and we did the first five paragraphs and I showed her to underline and make notes on the scriptures. She expressed herself well, and freely, and understood it all. I really enjoyed it. We just studied for about half an hour because then everyone was ready to go out. So I left her the homework of preparing, gave her the WT study article for the weekend, and there you have it!!! And she’s coming to Indianapolis with Leyla at the end of February so I’ll be able to continue her study once we’re back in Indy!!!!
Hmmmm….what else? Oh yeah, there’s a brother outside right now working on the garden. He’s going to put a lawn down and trees and make it look all nice and pretty. They’ve hired him to maintain the house. He’s from El Crucero where we visited last time so we already knew him. He’s a hard worker. Brought another guy with him and they’re out there hacking up the ugly grass so they can put the pretty lawn down. It’s going to look lovely when they’re all done.
![]() |
| My First Bible Study here - Claudia |
So, you’re probably wondering, or perhaps you forgot by now, why the title of this blog is “What exactly is the definition of lukewarm?”, right?!?! Well, according to the dictionary lukewarm means mildly warm, tepid. That’s the temperature that everyone says the water in the house is. Welll…………………maybe my idea of mildly warm is a little off, but to me the water that comes out of the showerhead is COLD!!! So I’m slowly getting used to cold, I mean lukewarm, showers!!! It’s not too bad. I guess the water isn’t icy cold, but it kinda feels like it when you first get under it!!! But I’ve discovered that it is possible to adapt, so I’m adapting, slowly! It still takes me a few seconds of staring at the water and putting my foot under it, to then stand completely under it, but poco a poco as they say in Spanish! At least it doesn’t take my breath away anymore like it did the first day. Well, I don’t think that story was as entertaining as I thought it would be. Oh well, good enough!
That’s about it then. Leyla leaves tomorrow, the rental car goes back, and hopefully we’ll get the truck. If not, we’ll figure out another way to get to the meetings and field service until it does arrive. The bus would be an adventure in itself!!
I think I’m going to turn the computer off for a while now. It’s making my eyes sting! Take care and keep in touch everyone! Oh and I just keep adding pictures to the same album so click on the Slideshow on the blog page www.indybrits.com and you can see new pictures that we’ve added.

No comments:
Post a Comment