Haga clic aqui para traducir nuestro blog a español

Monday, July 22, 2013

Seems like it's time to write

It seems like it's time to write another blog post, but now that I sit down I can't even think what to blog about. Usually when I start a post that way, it ends up being really long!

Well, since the last blog post Charley has spent a week in Pioneer Service School and started his second week today. Even though I've seen him in the evenings I feel like I haven't seen him much because he's been studying so much! It's been hard to keep my mouth shut and let him study when I haven't seen him all day - surprised to hear that about me right?!?!

He's enjoying the school very much. I went to take the picture on Wednesday. It turned out okay although not as good as the last one which was taken with our friend Blake's camera. I hope they're happy with it, if not, oh well, they won't ask me again!


I also got to help make food the first day of the class. I got to chop carrots and potatoes, transport the food and servers, and then help serve the food, drinks, and fruit salad. It was nice to get to be a part of the lunch break that day and there was some food left over so I got a yummy lunch too and some fruit!

The day I took the picture we took so long that I missed my group for service. But the CO's wife (serving in Managua) didn't have plans with anyone so I got to take her on some of my calls, and then we went to support the new public witnessing stand that they had in the market. We were only there a little while though so we just saw one person take a book. The brothers made a very nice little stand on wheels which even folds up. It was really nice to get to work with her, learn more about their years of full-time service, and see her using her experience in the ministry.

So, I've spent the week going out in service on my own, well, without Charley I mean. Most days I've had the truck. On Thursday though I had Charley drop me off at the group since I was just going out in the morning. I somehow ended up by myself doing return visits. I only found one of them home though, but I managed not to get lost in our new territory (I prayed most of the time I was walking between calls that morning!), and when I did feel like I didn't know where to go, I prayed and two sisters from a neighboring congregation appeared from around the corner and walked me to where I needed to go!

Then I got the bus home from the market and sat next to a sweet young girl, who I started chatting with. I was able to share a couple of scriptures with her, place magazines and find out that she lives in our territory! She has the Bible Teach book already but nobody is calling on her, so I'm going next week to see if I can start a study with her! Hopefully she gave me the right address! It was a lovely end to a quiet morning.

We also had a movie night at one of our friend's house with Brenda, Caleb and Franci. Juan Carlos is coordinator in the other congregation we were in, and wanted to have us over before we all head to the States for a while. It took us about an hour to final settle on a film. It was funny how it all went down! He had bought a few videos, but they were all labeled badly (pirate videos aren't illegal here) so we put two in that when they were about to begin we realized were R rated so we turned them off. Then we looked through Netflix for ages and couldn't decide on anything. Then we chose one that Franci had seen on TV once, but after 10 minutes the language started to get bad and we realized it was rated R too. I guess when Franci watched it she watched it in Spanish and they didn't translate the bad language. So that was a shame because it looked like it would have been a good story. So, we finally ended up watching Kevin James in the Zookeeper! It was predictable, but really funny!!!

And the highlight of the night - Juan Carlos ordered PAPA JOHN'S PIZZA!!!! It even came with the little garlic butter tub - my favorite part!!!

Can you tell we haven't been in the States for almost a year. We both love Papa John's but this is probably the first time either of us wanted our picture taken with it!!

The movie gang - me, Charley, Brenda, Caleb, Juan Carlos, Franci. Look at those lovely tans!

We also got confirmation this week that we got the last two seats on the bus with Granada English congregation to go to the English District Convention in El Salvador in August! WE'RE SO EXCITED!!! It'll be like a mini international convention. It's the only English District Convention in Central America so all those serving in English down here will be going, plus other tag-alongs like us! It's right before we head to the States so we have to get all our stuff ready since we get back about 10pm Monday night and fly out 7:30 Tuesday morning!! They don't offer discounts at the hotels like they do in the States, so we just found a nice B&B online that gave us a bit of a discount for staying four nights. It looks really nice and almost every review on TripAdvisor gave it an Excellent rating.

So, time will be flying by. It's only four weeks on Wednesday until we go to El Salvador and judging by how these last four weeks flew by, no doubt the next four will too. I'm trying to get organized so that it won't be too crazy at the last minute! I say that like I've actually done something to get organized - I've thought about it a lot, that's a good start I'd say!

On a completely unrelated note, if you understand a little bit of Spanish, and want to watch something really funny, click here. A friend of mine introduced me to this today - it's HILARIOUS!

3 comments:

  1. If I got Papa John's Pizza here I would take a picture with it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Shelina and I are going to the English DC too! We're super excited. We found out too late about the rooming list so we're in a hotel 3 min from the site but we're nervous there. Do you mind if I ask exactly where you're staying and the price? You can privately email it if you want. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete