Haga clic aqui para traducir nuestro blog a español

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Signing out from Nicaragua

Most likely the next time I blog it will be from my mam and dad's house in Indianapolis!!!!!! It's hard to believe we'll be in the States this time next week! 

It's been a busy couple of weeks and as usual it's hard to remember what we've been up to. We mostly wrapped up our ministry in Masaya the week of the 12th since our landlady was arriving the following week and we wanted to make ourselves available for her.

Most of my return visits and studies were happy to have someone else visit them while I'm gone. Only one, and not the one I expected, told me that she'd rather just wait for me. So I convinced her to have someone stop by with the magazines, and we'll see if that sister manages to make her feel comfortable enough to continue the study. She was doing really well too. I'd been teaching her how to underline her book and make notes on the scriptures and she seemed to be getting the hang of it. 

Our landlady came on the 19th so we've spent some time taking her to appointments and doing a bit of shopping. And in between all that, Charley had the privilege of supervising lunch at the third and final Masaya Pioneer Service School. So he had to be there every day to make sure the congregation who was assigned came with lunch. Everyone knows the process well now since the same congregations were assigned, to make the same food, the same day of the week for all three schools, so now everyone is an old pro. 

I went with Charley a few times too. Monday it was our congregation's turn to cook, although I didn't help because we had a mammoth house cleaning/moving bedrooms to do before our landlady arrived! But we went and picked up the food and spent lunch at the hall. I didn't think I was going to take the class picture this time, because of us leaving part way through the second week, but I ended up doing it and they got the order together faster. And it actually ended up being the best of the three pictures I took. I had to replace three people's heads but it turned out well if I do say so myself!!

Can you guess which heads I replaced?!?!

It seems like I don't have anything very interesting to blog about, sorry! On Sunday night after the meeting we went to say goodbye to a couple of people, including Noelia. I gave her and Laynori homework folders that I forgot to take pictures of, so they'll have plenty to do while I'm gone. Someone else will be studying with them, but I printed off a bunch of activities from www.jw.org and made a folder, so we'll see if they manage to get them all done by the time we get back. Noelia cried her eyes out - you'd think I was leaving forever! And a family who we spend a lot of time with, who are in our previous congregation, had a good cry too, mostly the son and daughter who Charley and I study with. So it was a nice big cry-fest!! I can't imagine what it would have been like if we weren't coming back in 2 1/2 months!

I already packed two carry-on suitcases and one big one, mostly full of Bible and book covers and magazine and tract folders that a brother here makes. I have some extras besides what the sisters in the Spanish congregation in Indianapolis ordered, so I'll blog some pictures once I'm in Indy for anyone there who is interested in buying some. They're really nice, and weigh a ton, and take up tons of room in our luggage!!!

So, we have one suitcase still to pack and our bags for the weekend. We're off to San Salvador, capital city of El Salvador, tonight. We are travelling with the Granada English congregation overnight to their English District Convention. I'm a bit nervous about it since it's not as safe as Nicaragua, but hopefully all will go well. I plan on leaving my engagement and wedding rings behind, taking my little cheap camera, not take the laptop, etc so hopefully we won't be a target! We should be arriving in San Salvador around 10am Thursday morning, so we have all day to find our hotel and get settled and make up for the sleeping I probably won't be able to do on the bus!

It's going to be like a mini international convention. This convention is for all the English congregations in Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala. We're looking forward to seeing the friends we know from around Nicaragua, and also meeting one or two whose blogs we read but haven't met yet from other countries. I'm sure there'll be quite an international feel to the thing since those serving in English come from the US, Canada, England, New Zealand, Australia and who knows where else! We've never had to wait so long for District Convention, so although I've heard a lot about it, it'll be wonderful to actually be there!!

So, we travel home from there Monday, all day, since it's about a 12 hour bus trip. We get home around 10pm Monday, and fly out for Indianapolis 7:30am Tuesday!!! So probably won't be doing much sleeping. Two long days of travelling - ugh, not looking forward to that part of it!!!

But we're so excited to see everyone back in Indiana. Wooohoooooo!!!!!!!! So, to a lot of you reading this blog, see you next week!!!

1 comment:

  1. Safe travels and enjoy the convention. Ours here in Mexico is not until the end of December :-(

    ReplyDelete