Haga clic aqui para traducir nuestro blog a español

Thursday, October 9, 2014

The person faithful in what is least...

Well, dear friends, I just realized yesterday that it's been a month since I posted anything! You'd think after a month I'd have all kinds of things to say, but I can't think what's been happening!

I do want to tell a little story of a young brother in our congregation. His name is Isaac. He's 11 years old and a very bright young man, but also a little timid. A few weeks ago Nicaragua was celebrating it's independence and the kids are all involved in processions carrying the flag around the streets during those days and wearing banners and stuff. The kids with the best grades are the ones who are chosen to be at the front of such parades. Obviously, to remain neutral at such times, our kids have to take a stand for the truth.

So, Isaac told me a couple of days afterwards that he always gets at least 90 on his tests in school. And his teacher told him he'd be one of the kids to carry the flag, because he's such a good student. He told her that as one of Jehovah's Witnesses he wouldn't be participating in the procession and she told him he would! So, when the next test came around, he purposely got 80 on his test! His teacher guessed that he did it on purpose, but he said he just said Huh? when she asked him about it!!

I just was really impressed by this. It may seem like a small thing, but I know Isaac made Jehovah's heart rejoice that day. He wasn't concerned about breaking his record of high scores in school, if it meant he could be obedient to Jehovah.

Telling this story reminds me of his little sister, Jael. She is 8 and also really shy. She is a publisher already, but gets nervous about talking or reading out in service. I showed her the new video, Jehovah Will Help You to be Bold on Tuesday morning. Her mam told me yesterday that as they walked to the meeting on Tuesday evening Jael suddenly said, "Mam, I'm going to talk out in service now, because Jehovah helped Sophia to speak up, so I can too". I was so touched that just seeing that little video once, had such an impact on her. What a beautiful gift from Jehovah these Become Jehovah's Friend videos are.

Speaking of gifts from Jehovah - you know what I'm going to say! tv.jw.org!!!!!! WOW!!!!!! I spent Monday morning in front of the computer laughing and crying my eyes out and thanking Jehovah over and over again. What an AMAZING gift. We are such a blessed people. There just aren't even words...

This past week or so has meant a lot of phone calls between Charley and our other elder in the congregation. Our congregation "grandpa", Brother Taleno, fell in his house and fractured his pelvis area. He's been in the hospital a week now and today they're going to Managua to get a part that will be used in his surgery to fix it. It's been a nice opportunity to see the love of the brothers, since he has to have someone with him all the time in the hospital. Hospitals here leave a lot to be desired, at least the local, public one does. To receive proper care someone has to be there with him, take him his food, and if you want to sit down for the shift while you care for him, you have to even take your own chair!

So, the brothers in our congregation, and neighboring congregations have been taking turns spending 6 hour shifts with him in the daytime, and a 12 hour shift at night to make sure he's okay. He's doing well though. They don't like to let people in to visit, so I haven't seen him, but Charley says he's handling it all well and is in good spirits. The doctor says the operation will see him up and about pretty quickly, so hopefully that is the case. It's times like this that you realize what wonderful healthcare is so easily accessible in the developed world. But everyone is doing what they can to help, including pitching in to pay for the part that is needed for his surgery.

Service has been going very well. My attempt to keep my number of studies down so that I can give each of them proper attention has worked out pretty well. I still have a dozen studies, but it's less than I had before, and I feel like I'm able to care for them better and my service days don't consist of just running from one study to another! 

Well, what else? Just been busy with the usual mostly. We've added some personal touches to our little house, pictures that I've taken over the years, and still have a couple of other projects lined up to decorate a bit more. It makes such a difference having those personal touches. I feel like this place is our home now, not just a house!

Oh, yeah, funny little thing. The friends tried to have a surprise party for us, but their lack of communication meant it didn't end up being entirely a surprise! We were still a bit surprised though because we thought it was for our anniversary, just a little early, but when we got there it turned out to be a "welcome" party!!! That tickled me because we've been in the congregation since it was formed over a year ago!!! Haha, the friends are so appreciative here. It was a nice gesture and I danced until I could hardly walk! And it was a perfect opportunity to give out all the lovely gifts that so many friends gave us at the International Convention. Everyone loves all their bookmarks, and postcards, and other little things. And the kids were delighted with their new toy cars, and toothbrushes, and the big bag of candy was devoured in 10 minutes by young and old alike!!! For any of you reading this who gave us something - thank you so much! Your brothers and sisters in Nicaragua send their love and thank yous!

So, yeah, anniversary. It's our 10th anniversary next Thursday! Can't believe how quickly it came around! Our first decade - we survived it and actually thoroughly enjoyed it! We were going to go to Little Corn Island, which is a beautiful isolated island in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Nicaragua, but the place we wanted to stay turns out to be closed for maintenance until mid-November, so it might end up being a trip we'll do for 10 1/2 years of marriage! 

But we are planning on treating ourselves to a day off next Thursday. We're going to have breakfast in Granada at a place called Kathy's Waffle House that does American-style breakfasts!!! And then go to Cocoberry Spa for a chocolate body scrub and 60 minute massage!! And then maybe pizza at our favorite pizza place in Granada, and some kind of chocolaty delight at Hotel Dario. I'm so excited about our little splurge day!!!

Well, that's all for now. Hope you're all doing well and enjoying all the latest treats from Jehovah and his organization! That new song, 138, man, made me cry!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update and congratulations on your tenth anniversary. With all of your Bible studies, you are doing phenomenal work. You deserve a day off. Enjoy.

    What a blessing from Jehovah these new electronic provisions! I have a strong feeling this is the beginning of a global shout of praise to Jehovah before the end comes. Jehovah really does want as many as possible to be saved.

    We enjoyed our international convention in Harare. It was a truly joyous family gathering. The friends, in spite of their limited resources, did their best to make us feel welcome. They expended themselves tirelessly and really showed their love for their international family. I thought you might enjoy this comment on our convention by a professional world traveler who by happy coincidence happened to be in Zimbabwe at the time. It is in the last paragraph oh of the article.

    http://tripaccomplice.wordpress.com/tag/international-convention-of-jehovahs-witnesses/

    May Jehovah continue to bless the fine work you are doing.

    ReplyDelete