Haga clic aqui para traducir nuestro blog a español

Saturday, October 5, 2019

You might not like this story!

Remember last time I said I thought I had an entertaining story to tell but couldn't remember what it was?!

Well, I remembered. Although I'm not sure if entertaining is quite the right word!

First, I'll briefly tell the story of the ants in my hairdryer. I think I might have blogged about it at the time since it was a few years ago now. I hadn't used my hairdryer in quite a while, since it's hot here and I have short hair, but for some reason one day I decided I needed to use it. Well, some big ants had apparently made themselves quite at home in it and they all came flying out into my hair when I turned it on! You can imagine the rest of the story! Lets just say its a good job nobody else was home and Charley just sat and laughed his head off through the whole ordeal!

So, my hairdryer has been stored in a different spot since then and again hasn't been used much. So I was going to use it a month or so ago and when I looked in it, just in case there were ants, I got an unexpected surprise! Little, round, white things. On closer inspection I realized they were little gecko eggs! I know this because we've had them in other random places in our house and then seen tiny geckos running around. So I didn't use my hairdryer.

Well, the other day I decided I'd use it and I tried to shake the eggs out, figuring they were old and just empty shells. Bits of shell fell out, and then, all of a sudden what I thought was a worm came flying out. I thought, man, worms too?! But then I realized it was a gecko not quite ready to hatch yet. It was still moving though. I couldn't bring myself to use my hairdryer after that!

So, like I said, not so much entertaining as plain old disgusting and perhaps even traumatic for my dear readers! Just one of the things that you get used to when you live in a tropical country. It seems there is always some small insect or animal ready to move into your appliances if you don't use them for a while (like our iron but that's a story for another day!).


Can you see the two eggs at the top? Not a very clear picture but you get the idea!
On a more positive note we also get to enjoy lots of beautiful creation outside our house instead of inside our appliances! I will leave you with pictures I took last week of a couple of birds that are always around here!

Tropical kingbird


Great Kiskadee


And just in case that wasn't enough to help you recover from the trauma of my story surely our congregation's favorite baby, Abdias, will at least make you smile and forget about the gecko for a few seconds!

I have a hard time concentrating on the meeting when he is around!



No comments:

Post a Comment