So, I'll start out by sharing the Pioneer School picture that I didn't want to show you all last time. All of the students in the class have their pictures now, so I can share it. Hopefully none of them mind being online. If any of you are seeing this and don't want the picture on here, just let me know and I'll take it right down.
It was so nice to have a little part in the Pioneer School. We got to eat lunch with them a couple of times during the two weeks so that was a treat. And I got to spend an afternoon with the CO's wife on a couple of my studies. They're off to their new assignment so it was nice to spend some time with her before we all headed our different ways.
What else? We got in a bit of an accident with the Honda. As it turned out it was enough damage to total it we got more from the insurance than we were going to sell it for, and the family who were going to buy it still wanted it, so they got a free car, and we got 3x the price for it!! We also just sold the Jetta yesterday so that was a relief. We just went to the BMV today to take the plates back and get a bit of a refund although it wasn't much, but better than nothing.
We went to Columbus, Ohio for a couple of days to visit some friends. We hadn't seen them since they had their two kids so it was nice to spend some time with them, and with her parents, who were very hospitable. I fell in love with their little girl, Charlotte. Here she is taking a picture of me with my cell phone. She's the coolest little thing! She's not two yet, but she talks really well and has already given her first comment at the meeting. I didn't hear her cry the whole time we were there. I'm sure she cries at times, but all in all, she's a very well behaved little thing. Her little brother cried a bit more, but we'll forgive him for that since he's only a few months old!!! They are just the cutest little family!
| Polish food I ate at the North Market in Columbus - yum |
| Apparantly, Baby Eli's conversation didn't entertain Charley very much. |
| With Nicci, mommy of two adorable little kids. I didn't get a picture of her hubby. |
Mam and dad had a little get together for us on the 12th and we had family and a few friends over for a nice evening of food and conversation. Here are a few pictures from that. We usually have an anniversary dinner every year with some of these couples since we all got married around the same time, but we won't be here for it this year, so it was nice to see them before we leave.
| Baby Josslyn - ain't she cute?! |
| The awesome cake my mam and dad got us! |
| With Diego & Jill, Alison, Brady & Thomas, and Aaron and Tasha. |
| Josh & Wendy, oh and Josslyn! |
| Aunty Lesley and Aunt Glennis |
| Mam & Dad |
| Hollister & Thomas enjoying their ice cream. |
Charley went backpacking with his sister and her husband for a few days. It's not just not my thing so I didn't go. I figured they'd have a better time without me dragging behind and complaining all the time!!! They went to KY and enjoyed three days of hiking and camping in the middle of nowhere! Charley took some really nice pictures but they're also on that camera that is buried in a suitcase so maybe later I'll post those!
Then our congregation had a going away party for us in the park. We had a really nice time. Two sisters in the hall who are from El Salvador spent the whole time making pupusas - my favorite!!!! And I saw quite a few who helped and learned how to make them too. Someone also made us this really cool gift with paint handprints of all the kids that were there. There's a picture of that below. And the kids sang Song 120 Listen, Obey & Be Blessed for us! That was a real treat! They did a very good job of it.
| She only has one tooth but she knows how to use it! |
| The kids singing |
| The girls |
| The guys |
Yesterday we started and mostly finished packing. We have two suitcases each, plus a carry-on each, The checked luggage is filled to the brim, and bordering on the 50lb limit. Hopefully when we get to the airport tomorrow morning we don't have to do any moving around of stuff! Charley even managed to get his juice extractor packed so he was really pleased about that!! It'll be nice to have so many fresh juices all the time down there. I wanted to take my vegetable steamer but in the end clothes won out!
Today Charley's family are coming up to spend the day so it should be a fun day. Hopefully the goodbyes won't be too traumatic! Thursday night was our last meeting and I was doing really well until one of my studies started sobbing, and then I lost it and cried through the next half a dozen hugs as did all the sisters who were hugging me! We leave behind a beautiful congregation, but it's not loosing friends, it's just moving on to gain even more.
So, here we are, 24 hours from now we should be almost arriving in Nicaragua. Assuming that is, that the hurricane heading towards Miami doesn't interfere with our travel plans! But there's nothing we can do about that, so we'll just have to go with the flow! We're really excited about getting down there. Not really too nervous, just excited. I will be glad once the travelling part is over, and we're settled in our home for the next year.
Well, I think that was more than enough. Keep in touch, it is always very encouraging to hear from you all and know that people are reading. The next post will probably be from Nicaragua, so until then, take care!

Hi Rachel: My name is Anne, from Ontario Canada and I've been reading your blog for a bit now. So happy that you are able to return to Nica. Where are you going to be? My husband and I have spent 2 months in Granada in 2011 and are coming to Leon for 5 months in November. We will be doing English but really want to get going in Spanish. Have tried to learn some basics, but do you have any suggestions? Just go out with the brothers and do it?
ReplyDeleteAnyway have a safe trip, will watch for your next post.
We are between Managua & Masaya, and the congregation we're serving in is in Masaya, right downtown. Do you know the Poldens? Maybe we'll come to Leon to meet them and you guys. We both learned Spanish in the States so I don't know what it's like to learn down here. You really don't start learning it until you immerse yourself in it though. Trial and error - that's the way!
DeleteI was just thinking about you & Charley this week as I couldn't remember exactly when you were leaving. I'm tearing up just reading this& looking at the pictures, I can't wait to read all about your experiences in Nicaragua. Hope you have a safe journey & settle into the new service year well. Thinking of you, love M x
ReplyDeleteHi! I hope you two had a safe trip and that you have arrived safe y sound! Thanks for all your updates and I hope we get to chat soon. Take care. Chante' from Ohio
ReplyDeleteWhat a great picture of Charley and Eli!
ReplyDelete