Haga clic aqui para traducir nuestro blog a español

Monday, October 1, 2012

I'm never buying pancake syrup again!

I just wanted to share this new little piece of information I am now the proud owner of!

One thing that is very expensive here is pancake syrup, so we've been eating pancakes with jam on, or honey. But it's just not the same!

So, I turned to my trusty friend - the Internet - and looked for homemade syrup recipes. I had no idea how easy it was. Brown sugar, white sugar, water, butter, salt & vanilla (because you can't get maple flavoring here). And voila - using a little bottle that had a yogurt drink in it last week, we now have a bottle of delicious pancake syrup without any of the goodness-knows-what-kind of preservatives and chemicals they put into the store bought stuff.

Even after we're back living in the States, I don't know that I'll ever buy pancake syrup again! 

Here's the recipe in case you want it. Only thing was that the butter kind of separated afterwards and I have to keep mixing it back in, so I don't know that the butter is really essential. I might leave it out next time.

1 1/2 c. brown sugar (packed)
3/4 c. water
1 tbsp. butter
Dash of salt
1/2 tsp. maple flavoring (or vanilla if you don't have maple)
Mix brown sugar, water, butter and salt in saucepan. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in maple flavoring. Serve warm.

1 comment:

  1. This is an old tried and true syrup receipe, my husband actually prefers it to the real thing and that's something for someone who lives in the middle of Canadian maple syrup country!! I leave the butter out, just put some on my pancakes before pouring on the syrup.

    Have really been enjoying your blog, we are getting ready to come. We arrive Nov.14 and will be going to Leon for 5 months. Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete