Haga clic aqui para traducir nuestro blog a español

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Maybe I should have my own cooking show

Well, as you may have figured out by now I take Monday and Thursday mornings off, so here I am at home. Charley went out this morning. By the time he comes home at midday he’ll have 110 hours in for the month, which means he’s all caught up on his time. Not ahead, but no longer behind!!! So, the plan is to spend the first couple of days of February at the beach as  a reward!

We had a great time on Sunday. A sister from our hall, Sandra, came with us to La Banderas to visit Philip & Luisa. She knows them because they used to be in this congregation here in Piedra Quemada for a while when they were serving in Bethel. We got a bit lost along the way, missed our turn and drove 30km past, but it was a very scenic drive and we had plenty of time to spare! We finally got to Philip & Luisa’s just before 1pm and had a delicious lunch of spaghetti with them. And Luisa made the most fabulous banana bread that I indulged in two pieces of! This is their house. 



At 4pm we went to the meeting with them. They have two meetings on Sunday’s because the whole congregation doesn’t fit anymore in the hall but they only have two elders so they can’t split. About 40 were at the afternoon meeting. It’s the cutest little hall as you can see in the picture. Charley did a great job on his talk. So, it was a lovely day and we got home safe and sound without getting lost. 






The week has gone well so far. I’ve had a couple of studies, but quite a few of them were out when I called on them this week, so that’s a shame. But I was really tired in the afternoons the last couple of days so I didn’t cry about going home a bit early! Charley got a haircut this week from the sister who did mine. It took her all of 5 minutes I think! She only charged a dollar and did a fine job. I think we’ll have to bring her home with us!

Charley learned how to do laundry this week. Here is washing his socks! It was nice to share the job between us. I was happy to let him wash the socks, and I washed his shirts. I hate washing socks – they’re so small and tiresome! 


I have a recipe I thought I’d share with you all. We’ve been eating off this recipe for about three days now! It’s called, “What-Can-We-Make-Today Soup”.

Ingredients:
  •          Any random vegetables that you find in the fridge (like the ones you bought out of the nearly spoiled box at the grocery store for a sixth of the normal price)
  •          Any random spices that you happen to have in the cupboard
  •          Enough water to cook them in


Cooking Directions:
  •          Put water to boil in big pan
  •          Chop all your random veggies up and throw them in the pan
  •         Add random amounts of the various spices you found in the cupboard until it looks/smells/tastes good
  •         Let it all cook for a while and serve it with bread that you bought from a lady carrying a big basket down the street yelling “Pico de pan y barra” or something like that!

We’re excited to discover we’ll be having guests as of this weekend – just imagine how delighted they will all be to eat “What-Can-We-Make-Today Soup”.  Aaron & Tasha from our congregation are coming for a month, which we already knew. They arrive on Sunday and were supposed to be staying with the Robleto’s (Mario & Wanda) who we stayed with last year. But the Robletos are having some serious plumbing problems (in the house, not their own bodies!) and they’re in the process of digging up the yard to find the septic tank – yuck! Not a pleasant problem to deal with, but while they’re working on that Tasha & Aaron will be staying with us for a bit. And Philip & Luisa will also be here Sunday night since they’re coming down for something on Sunday, and then need to be in the area Monday, so they’re spending the night here. So we’ll have a full house Sunday night! I can’t wait!!! So I guess we’ll be doing some sightseeing with Aaron & Tasha around here, which will be fun, since we haven’t really done any this time around yet. Now we’ll have an excuse to be tourists too!

Charley’s compost project came to an end today. I was tired of those little flies that seemed to find their way from the compost into the house, so he decided to throw it all away. Of course after he did that, the flies all came in the house looking for something else to eat. Hopefully by Sunday they will all have left or died in our orange juice mixed with dish soap trap! It works well. The termites seem to like it too! I just watched the trash collectors pick up that bag with all the compost in. I think they pulled a muscle or two getting it up into the truck.

Well, another post with not much of interest in it! After a while things start to seem normal and so I forget that they’d make a good story! We just had a cat in the house that mysteriously vanished when we tried to run it off.  I guess the getting rid of it worked. Either that or it’s quietly hiding somewhere under a bed or something! Maybe we should keep it around to eat the big spiders that keep getting in here. I can’t figure out if there are multiple spiders, or if it’s the same one that keeps coming in. I guess maybe we should kill it instead of just showing it the door. Or maybe we should keep the spider around too so it can eat the flies. You know, I once knew an old lady who swallowed a spider to catch a fly....

That’s all for now. Enjoy your soup!!

No comments:

Post a Comment