Well, I was thinking I’d just type a bit each day and post it later in the week, but I think this was really long enough for a post, so I’m going to run to the store around the corner and buy an hour’s internet so I can post this. Be right back…..
Ok, I’m back, so this week so far……
Tuesday – went out in service in the morning, and did calls in the afternoon. I had a lovely study with Brenda, who I may or may not have mentioned before. We finished the article in the November Watchtower, and it turns out she already has the Bible Teach book so she chose Chapter 6 for next week. She’s about 19, and is really on the ball. She gets the point and explains the scriptures impressively. We had a great study. The other one I went to, Gabriela who others have tried to study with in the past, wasn’t home. So we’ll see what happens there.
Wednesday – I stayed home in the morning. Was feeling rather worn out. Charley had a pretty good morning and a good group went out. In the afternoon we went out to do calls for a couple of hours. I got to sit down and do half a dozen paragraphs from the chapter on prayer in the Bible Teach book with a young woman called Kristen. I can’t remember what other calls we did, so I guess maybe nothing else outstanding happened. Charley made dinner that night because my two hours left me exhausted! And he made tostones, for the first time, and they turned out better than mine had the night before despite it being the third time I’d attempted them. Here's a picture. That’s why I married a chef!
Thursday – we went to the meeting place, but either they left before we got there (we were ten minutes late!), or they all came even later than we did, or we were in the wrong place, or nobody else came out! But we have such a collection of return visits now that we had plenty to keep us busy. I called back on a girl that I had left the Creation brochure with (can’t remember the proper name in English, but it’s the new one with the colorful pictures). She invited us into the big yard and we sat down and had a great call. We talked about the Rapture a bit, the purpose of life, and then covered the part in the Appendix of the Bible Teach book about 1914 – I’m not even sure how that happened!!! She goes to a Christian church in Managua, so I asked her one of the questions that the CO suggested when he was here and which is answered in Chapter 5 of the Bible Teach book. Why did Jesus have to be born of a virgin? I’ve used it a few times this week and it’s been great. It’s a basic truth, but so far only one person has been able to give me a partially correct answer, and it wasn’t this girl. So we discussed that too – she wouldn’t wait for the answer!! And so then I left the question, When did Jesus become the Christ? – another one of the CO’s suggestions. I refused to answer that one though! I could tell she didn’t want to give back the Bible Teach book that I had handed her to look at, so I let her keep it. She was very keen to have it. So, we’ll see what happens when we go back. So that was about the first hour of the morning I think, just at her house. We spent another two hours doing calls before lunch. After lunch we went back out but only got one of four calls home. It was a good one though. I’d already done the Appendix about the soul and spirit with this young woman, Miriam, and today we did the first 10 paragraphs of chapter one, and made plans for next week.
So, we were done after an hour this afternoon, so I went to the hairdressers!!!!! Her name is Karla, she’s in the congregation and has a little salon in the territory. So she cut my hair REALLY short!!! I mean, I showed her some pictures from when I had it cut last, although it was hard to tell. But as she was cutting, I could tell she was really cutting a lot off!!! But I like it. It’s not THAT much shorter than I usually have it, and it’s going to be getting hot here now so short will feel good! Here’s a picture from the side to give you an idea how short it is.
And guess how much it cost?!?!?!?! You’ll never guess so I’ll tell you. 30 Córdobas – which at the current exchange rate is $1.30 – yes, that’s right, she does a haircut for $1.30. And I don’t think that was a special rate because I’m a witness, because her sign outside says 25 Córdobas but I figured that was for a guy’s haircut. So I gave her more of course, and even then it was still a quarter of what I pay back home. And she did a good job too! So we won’t be taking Charley back to the barber shop we went to a couple of weeks ago – they charge 100 Córdobas (about $4.50) – extortionate!!!
Oh, and before I finish, have any of you heard of Nicaraguan wine, or Guatemalan wine? No, I didn’t think so – there’s a reason why you haven’t. Maybe the next bottle we buy will have less of a rotten smell and taste to it. Maybe the next bottle of wine won’t make me gag as I bring the glass to my mouth. Maybe there just won’t be a next bottle of wine.
On that note, I will close today’s blog. Take care everyone.
I'm loving the experiences, and your haircut! Your shoulders are looking a little burnt in the picture though, so watch you don't burn too much.
ReplyDeleteLove Michelle xx
p.s. I pay £20 for a 'cheap' haircut in UK!