Haga clic aqui para traducir nuestro blog a español

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Traffic Jams and Such!

Hello Everyone! So as I mentioned in my last post, Nicaragua wine leaves a little to be desired, but I would like to give a shout out to their rum – Flor de Caña it’s called. YUM!!!! Drinking a rum and coke as I type, so if I stop making sense half way through…….just kidding – it’s more coke than rum!

Well, all is well here. It’s been a bit warmer these last couple of days although we did have some rain over the weekend, but it usually just falls hard for a short time and then it’s over. We’ve had a good week in the ministry. Charley has an established study now with a young guy called Jose Luis. He’s a thinker – a pleasure to study with. And I have a few that I’ve been working on and hope to be able to inform half a dozen studies by the end of the month, but we’ll see. It’s nice to be able to go out so often. The group works territory for 3 hours in the morning, then we come home for lunch, then go back out for calls and studies. I was looking at my records today, and of the last 32 days, there are only 2 that I haven’t been out in service!

The house is having some work done it on it this week so there’s lots of drywall dust on the back porch although they did a really good job of leaving it clean. It’s the same brother that planted the lawn and trees and stuff. He’s a hard worker and so are the two young brothers who are working with him this week. I forgot that they’d taken the light off on the back porch and just tried to turn it on because I thought Charley needed some light out there for his compost project! I guess the wire was touching some metal, and I blew out the power and I think I fried the switch too because it won’t stay switched off now. Whoops! Just another of my brilliant moments.

I thought of quite a few little stories to tell but I’m forgetting them as I type. I should have made a note when I thought about it earlier. The lady that comes and does our washing was here today. It’s well worth $7 to have her do a week’s laundry, although this week I took out a few things that I think need gentle treatment. Not that she’s ruined any clothes, but Charley’s whites (socks and undershirts) seem to get a little bigger with every wash. So if you know of anyone out there that wears size 15 shoes and has a hard time finding socks that fit, I think we might have a gift for them by the end of February.

We have been having a hard time getting to the meeting for field service on time lately. I can’t remember if I mentioned that we’d been told they met at 8am, so we’d been pretty punctual for a couple of weeks. But then on the list of where the group would meet each day that they put on the board weekly, it said they were meeting at 7:45am now. I groaned a little, but then we found out that it’s always been at 7:45am, just that most people are late, and even the one taking the group out doesn’t arrive until after 8am!! So now we know it’s at 7:45, but it’s hard getting there by then!!! Seems like we move rather slowly on a morning even though we get up at 6:15 at the latest. Oh well, there you have it.

We were already running a little late on Tuesday morning, and then on the way there, we ran into a little traffic. 

Not much you can do but wait! Thankfully they didn’t take long despite us being in their path. I’m hoping to get a little video uploaded that gives you an idea of the quality of the road that leads to that brother’s house. And actually, it’s pretty much how most of the side streets are. I think you’ll get the idea if you watch it. I’ll try and upload it to the Picasa Web Album https://picasaweb.google.com/106831640947923575770/Nicaragua201112

I had my first demonstration on the service meeting on Friday. One of those you find out about during the Congregation Bible Study! It was the demonstrating how to start a study on Saturday with the January Watchtower. It went well. I was really nervous because we didn’t practice it! My householder said, I’ll just answer the questions that you ask me. She was a very good householder indeed, so that helped it go smoothly. I had one big swallow near the beginning. You know when you get nervous, and your throat dries up?! But once I swallowed I was fine!

Someone told me after the meeting on Friday night (after singing the song about the sisters) that I needed to give them all some singing lessons before we leave!!! Imagine me trying to teach anyone to sing?!?!?! I don’t know what you call any of the notes, and I don’t exactly have a good singing voice! But I guess if they’re tone deaf enough to think I’m a good singer, then maybe I can get away with it!

We had a couple over for dinner on Saturday. Here are the four of us after we ate. 

There was supposed to be another couple, but they didn’t end up being able to make it. I found out that Katya (in the picture) was born the day before me! Useless piece of information for you! We had quiche for dinner, with rice and zuquini (sp?) and fruit salad and yogurt for dessert.  The quiche was a recipe I found online. It’s a cheating one because you don’t actually make the pastry separately. But it’s wonderful because it’s super easy to make, and if I do say so myself, DELICIOUS!! So that will be a regular on our menu probably. Just something different than the same ol’ same ol’.

Claudia, the landlord’s niece, seems to be enjoying her study. She came with us to the meeting on Sunday, and then on Monday we had her study in the morning for an hour, then she came back in the evening for another hour and we finished the chapter! That was her idea, not mine. She’s keen indeed! Speaking of keen studies, I have another study called Brenda, who got called on in door to door on Saturday because we worked that territory again. She wants that sister to come back too because it’s on a different subject to the one her and I are studying! She’s really interested, and very quick to learn, so the more the merrier I say!! I’ll have to turn the study over at the end of February anyway, so she might as well get to know someone else in the congregation too!

Charley drove the truck to Managua last Friday morning, with the brother who is working on the house, to buy materials. They got pulled over (because we don’t have plates yet, although we do have the paperwork to prove we bought them but they’d run out of plates that day!), and it turned out that although they bought insurance, he didn’t have any proof of insurance on him so he had to pay 200 cordobas (about $9) to keep on driving!!! Oh well, we have the paperwork in the truck now (it had just got lost in the pile of papers) so we’re okay now. I thought we were getting pulled over today but it was the car behind us. It’s funny how they pull you over. They’re standing on the side of the road with their motorbikes, and they just walk out into the highway (50mph road) and wave their big, green glove at you!  No flashing lights or anything! Just a big, green glove! I think I used too many ( ) in that paragraph.

Well, I guess that’s all I have to ramble about. In a nutshell all is well and I was just thinking yesterday that I don’t know how I’ll ever get used to not having free time again. I love the schedule here. Being busy all day every day again back home will be tough. Now I know why needgreaters never stay long in the States!

Oh, and speaking of needgreaters, on Sunday for some reason I suddenly thought “I wonder if there will be an English assembly on while we’re down here”. And then I checked my email that night and I had an email from a sister who serves in the English congregation in Granada saying “Maybe I’ll see you at the assembly next weekend”!!! The assembly hall is just 15 minutes around the corner, so we’re going to stop by probably on Saturday after service to catch a bit of the English assembly and meet some of the people serving down here in the English field!!! Can’t wait!!!!

Take care everyone! Bye!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment