Haga clic aqui para traducir nuestro blog a español

Monday, February 25, 2013

Mam & Dad's Visit - Part 3 and a Flashback to Part 2

Before I start the next phase of the visit, Dad reminded me that I'd forgotten a story from our weekend in Leon.

As I said, we had pizza that first night we were there. So, there was pizza left over and we took it to our hotel. Charley ate some the next morning but there were still a couple of pieces left. So, Monday morning I woke up REALLY hungry and the lady hadn't start making breakfast yet. Charley was already in the shower, so I turned on the BBC news that I'd found the night before, and got myself some pizza. I sat in bed eating it, with just the light of the TV in the room. After a few minutes I felt an itch, like a little ant on me. So I scratched. Then I felt another one, and another one, and another one, on my arm, on my shoulder, on my neck. Was I being paranoid now?! I finished my slice of pizza - first things first - and then got up and turned the light on. I had a ant or two on me, so I looked in the bag that the plate of pizza was in and it was FULL of little tiny ants!!! So I got a good protein start to the day! Oh and yes, Charley did still eat the other piece that was left!

So, I think I was up to Wednesday in the last blog. We went to Granada that day and did a tour of some of the small islands in Lake Nicaragua. I've done the boat tour before, but this time I actually got to feed a monkey at Isla de los Monos - Monkey Island. We also had lunch at an Irish pub that day - they had pretty decent fish 'n' chips although it's hard to beat the real thing. 

No, that's not quite how I did my hair that day. It was a little breezy on the lake.

That's my arm with a cracker in it

You can hardly see the monkey now, but he's behind those leaves. He dunked the cracker in the lake, then ate it!

Where else would you eat lunch in Nicaragua?!

But we had some Nica entertainment to go with our Irish lunch

Then we went to the Chocolate Museum and had some fresh Cacao drink. YUM!!!!

These cups are made out of jicara. It's a fruit that grows on a tree down here. I don't think they eat it, just use it for cups.

Mam & Dad on the boat - my pictures are a bit out of order, sorry

Monkey hanging off neighboring boat - they brought him papaya.
Mam and dad will have to remind me if there are any more stories to tell from that day. It's all become a bit hard for me to remember!

Next day was our Masaya day, which is the city we serve in. We started by going to the Masaya Volcano. The last eruption was April last year, so they have optional hard hats when you go. Half of our group got them. You'll soon see which half. 


That's the crater smoking behind us. It stinks!
Then we went to a restaurant that we drive past every day but never stop at. It looks out over the Masaya Laguna which is too contaminated to swim in. We had some musical entertainment there too and 2 for 1 drinks - woohoo!!

The view of the Laguna from the restaurant

Mango Margarita - yum!

They played a couple of songs for us

Ready to eat. It was delish!

But Charley's dinner kept staring at me. It was a bit distracting.
Then we went to an old fortress where prisoners were kept back in the 1890's. It was creepy to go down into that dungeon and imagine it being full of 800 prisoners. The view from outside was really good though.



Then we went to Central Park to the best smoothies place on the planet! We had my favorite - Pineapple, Orange, Mint & Ginger! And he has these cool tall chairs and tables too!



We also checked out a local coffee shop we'd never been to before. Mam loved her cappuccino!


And then in the evening we went to a show at the tourist market. Got to see some folkloric dancing. It was good. Check out the friend who came by to visit too!

Marimba Dancing

Yeah, that's giant flying cockroach - yuck! Hard to tell, but they're huge!
And on Friday I took my mam and dad to see the Assembly Hall and the Mall! Then in the evening we had friends over for homemade pizza. Which was delicious if I do say so myself!



Justin & Adina (he hates being in pictures). He's from England, she's from Romania. They've been serving down here about 3 1/2 years now. And Caleb's mam Cindy who had just arrived the day before.

And Caleb & Brenda with his dad, Kevin. And my dad in the background!
Well, that's enough for Part 3. Stay tuned for some colorful transportation pictures, and the cutest little Kingdom Hall ever!

2 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed reading these last posts! Glad your parents had a great time, it was nice to meet them. Your story about the pizza and ants--have experienced that with a pastry I get at the local panderia. I love them and had them in a ziplock bag even, grabbed one at night (only the TV on) and felt movement on my hand. Seeing they were in the bag I thought I'd kept the little "friends" out of my sweets but thought I'd turn the light on to check--needless to say the pastry dropped out of my hand quickly and I headed to the sink. But no I didn't eat the rest!! I guess they have to be kept in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just loving your updates! You crack me up w/ all your stories. I am so glad you are having a wonderful time! Keep the stories and pictures coming!

    ReplyDelete