I'll start with some of mine and a few stories to go along with them.
| We had only been walking for two minutes when Madalyne, trying to avoid that puddle you see behind her, skidded into it instead and got herself nice and wet and muddy! As you can see, she was upset! |
| This is Charco Verde (literally Green Puddle). It was a lovely place to visit and they only charged us foreigners 20 cordobas (about 80 cents) to get in. |
| This was Charley & Blake's floating device which they made good use of when they got tired. |
| Another view of Charco Verde with one of Ometepe's two volcanoes in the background - I get them mixed up! |
![]() |
| This was at the top of a hill we climbed. You can't see the lake or the lagoon very well but they're back there! |
![]() |
| Bunch of posers, eh?! |
I think Charco Verde was my favorite thing that we saw on the island. It combined hiking and beach and was cheap to get in and just generally beautiful.
We had planned to go to the meeting in Altagracia, but thankfully on our first day there we saw the hall, and a brother appeared from nowhere and in conversation we found out that they were having their Special Assembly Day at the hall that Sunday. So we went to the morning session of that. All four congregations on the island were there, plus the one in San Jorge which is across the lake where you get the ferry over from the mainland. There were about 500 in attendance and it was so nice to get to experience that.
| The Kingdom Hall in Moyogalpa where they have their assemblies |
| The back of the Kingdom Hall has a built in stage, and then they put up a huge tent for all of those in attendance. |
![]() |
| They have the cutest little baptism pool. |
| San Marcos Kingdom Hall with Concepcion Volcano in the background |
| Concepcion Volcano |
| I hate traffic jams |
![]() |
| Isn't that an awesome house? And it's hard to tell, but we zoomed in on the picture and I'm almost sure that man was reading the paperback New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures. |
| When the sun started to set everything turned pink and purple |
![]() |
| The water was so still that day. It was like being in a giant swimming pool. (Photo by Blake) |
![]() |
| Franci enjoying the water (picture taken by Blake) |
![]() |
| The water did funny things to Blake - this is not edited, that's exactly how it looked to the human eye too! |
As for the story I alluded to in a picture a couple of posts ago, here's a reminder...
So, we got to our hotel the first evening and everyone chose their room. We had three rooms in a row. A fourth one on one end was the daughter and son-in-law of the owner, and then, Franci & Veronica, then me and Charley and Blake & Madalyne at the other end. The first night we were getting ready for bed when Madalyne knocked on our door and asked for Charley's help. Between him and Blake they killed the scorpion you see in the above picture which Madalyne found in the bathroom. Despite her horror, she managed to sleep in the room after that, although not very well.
The next night, they walk into their room and spot another scorpion on the wall. Now Madalyne really starts to panic. Blake kills it, and then goes around with a little flashlight checking all the little nooks and crannies to make sure there are no more. Lo and behold, he finds......................A SNAKE!!!! Didn't turn out to be poisonous, but still, a snake! At this Madalyne decides to quit trying to be brave and to share the room that Franci & Veronica are in. I say I'm going to go for the owner who lives in a house a few feet away. It's pitch black and raining. Thankfully the son-in-law heard us all outside and came out to see what was going on, and he went and got the owner. They killed the snake and carried it off.
Then the owner offers to show them another room which is connected to his house. They walk in there, and Blake says "No, we can't stay here" and points to a scorpion 4 times the size of the ones they'd been finding! Even the owner said it was big and he'd have to kill it.
Blake decides to go ahead and sleep in his original room that night but pulls the beds and tables away from the wall a bit. In the process of doing that, he finds the snake's head that the owner chopped off, complete with tongue hanging out! Sweet dreams!!
Also, while they were taking care of the snake, the son-in-law stood on a poisonous tarantula that was just outside of the rooms and killed it. Blake decided not to tell Madalyne about that until later!
The last night Blake is about to go to sleep when he looks up and sees something peeking down at him, and then run across the wall into another hiding place - yes, a third scorpion, the biggest of the three! I think he killed it - I can't remember the rest of that part of the story actually!
So, Ometepe Island is a BEAUTIFUL place - in the daytime! At night - well.......it's ok!
In the meantime, none of the rest of us had any problems really. We had some ants but we were like, well, yeah, ants, they're everywhere! Sunday morning we're getting ready for the Special Assembly Day and Madalyne hears this banging noise coming from outside the room next door. Charley was banging his shoe on the wall (I was drinking coffee in the restaurant so I missed out on this part!) because the ants had made themselves at home in his shoe. It was full of ant eggs, which look like little grains of rice. The next day they had moved on to my camera bag but I discovered them before they settled in too much!
If you ever come to Nicaragua though, you must go to Ometepe. I know, I make it sound so appealing don't I!?!?! But really, I loved it and would go back, just perhaps not to that hotel!
And to finish off on a happier note, here are Blake's funny pictures from the trip!
![]() |
| I think Madalyne copied the smile better than I did! |
![]() |
| See little gray sculpture in the middle - do we look alike?! |
![]() |
| Concepcion Volcano ready to pop! |
![]() |
| It's all about the Powerade |
![]() |
| Strike a pose! |
![]() |
| Can you see the eruptions of the two volcanoes?! Bet you didn't know they had Powerade inside them! |
| Chillin' at the hotel |
Next time maybe I'll catch you up on our day to day activities with our new congregation. Oh, and some photos of the lovely going away party our previous congregation had for us!















That was an amazing post! Very captivating.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to meeting you both at the District Convention in less than two weeks!!!!