Hello
everyone! Here we are a new month, and a new service year. How time flies.
It’s been a
rather exciting couple of days for us. Our heads are full of names and faces that
we can’t seem to match up, but poco a poco as they say!
So, I last
blogged on Thursday I think. Friday we went out in service in the morning for a
while with a nice big group at Piedra Quemada. Then after lunch at home, we
decided to get the GPS out and see if it could take us to the new Kingdom Hall
that we’ve been assigned to. It worked well, again, although after the main
streets then it ran out of names like the other day and just said “Turn left on
street”, but the map shows you where it means so all is good. We found the
hall, and were about to drive on, when I noticed someone in the grounds. So, we
got out and went to say Hello. There was a brother from our new congregation,
San Sebastian, there doing work on the apartment at the back of the Kingdom
Hall.
The apartment
was inhabited by the Balladares, the CO who assigned us to San Sebastian, and
now the new couple has moved in. Felipe & Elizabeth Olivares, that’s the
new Circuit Overseer and his wife. They’re from Mexico but have served in
Nicaragua for 9 years now. She has a sister in Indiana, but somewhere up north.
I don't know what the name of the place was but it begins with Sh! (Note
to the Lovett side of the family – I know you’re laughing your heads off at
that statement!) Anyway, so we had a nice little chat with them. On the way home Charley
got a $1.25 haircut! I would have too, well, mine is more expensive - $1. 50,
but we ran out of time.
Friday
night we went to our 2nd and last meeting at Piedra Quemada. They
are all sorry to see us go to a different congregation this time, but glad to
have us closer than when we’re in the States! I hope things don’t get so busy and
that we will still have time to visit them now and then.
So,
Saturday we stayed home and chilled, prepared our WT, got a really bad internet
connection and got rather mad at it (well, I did, not Charley!), then got ready
for our first meeting at San Sebastian!
The meeting
at the sauna, I mean, Kingdom Hall, started at 4pm. I’ve never felt so
suffocated in a hall before! There were fans, but I wasn’t sure I could feel
the benefit of them. I think the difference with this hall is that since it’s
in the city it’s right in between other buildings. There aren’t trees and open
space to allow air flow through the windows like there is at Piedra Quemada’s
hall. So, that will be something to get used to.
But the
congregation was even warmer than the hall itself!! I think every single member
of the congregation came and introduced themselves. It was lovely. They made us
feel EXTREMELY welcome. There are two other Raquel’s in the congregation, so I’m
going to try going by Rachel, see how that works out. At the end of the
meeting, the Watchtower Study conductor announced us as being part of the
congregation, and we got a very hearty applause.
They also
invited us to a going away party. One of their elders has just moved to the
sister congregation that meets in the same hall. This was our third invitation
for Saturday night, so we had to decline. We also declined an invitation to a
congregation get together at Piedra Quemada, because another family had already
invited us over for dinner. Invitations are like the buses in England – none,
and then three all at once. Seems to always be how it goes! But we enjoyed a
lovely dinner and got to hear experiences from the pioneer route (like
unassigned territory) that two of the girls went on so that was a treat. I have no pictures from the evening because my batteries died and I didn't have any more with me. But here are some from the meeting.
| Inside Sen Sebastian Kingdom Hall |
| Nicolas sitting down, the 11 year old regular pioneer in the middle, and Francisco |
Today, we
met for field service with the group that meets at the hall since that’s the
only place we know how to get to at the minute! We had a nice morning getting
to know our new family, and our new territory. It’s all city territory,
different to what we’d experienced before, but it was good. Not everyone
listened, but it’s like that wherever you go. For the most part people were
pleasant. We also ran in to another religious group going door to door. We
overlapped each other a bit, which meant we had to skip a house here and there.
That was interesting. Never experienced that before. They said that was
something new in the area.
After a
couple of hours in service, there was an elder’s meeting, which Charley went
to! Like I said in the title – it doesn’t take long! So I hung out at the hall
and finished studying my new Teach book. We were there almost 2 hours, but it
went by quickly. I wish I’d thought to take a picture of the three of them.
They’re the youngest body of elders I’ve seen. I’m not sure how old the other
two are, but I doubt either of them is any older than Charley. Walter was just
appointed in January, and Juan Carlos, I’m not sure how long he’s been an
elder, but he’s been in San Sebastian for 18 months now.
They also
gave Charley a set of keys to the Kingdom Hall, and a part on the service
meeting this coming Thursday. Oh, and Sunday Charley had the privilege of
saying the concluding prayer since the speaker didn’t stay! So, he’s been put
to use already, which is nice. That’s why we’re here and it’s nice to feel that
we are needed. We’ve been told by a couple of people that we are a blessing
from Jehovah and just what the congregation needed, so we hope we can live up
to that and be of assistance in whatever small way we can. On Sunday a couple
of brothers already started talking about how close they get to those who come
to serve, and then they leave and it’s so hard to say Goodbye. I think our
first day is a bit too soon to worry about that though!
Saturday
night at dinner, some friends from Nindiri congregation came over, and ended up
inviting us to a cook out at their house this evening, so that’s the plan for
later today. Last time we came we didn’t really meet too many from neighboring
congregations, or do a lot socially outside of the house, so it’s fun to be
getting to meet so many new people so early on in our stay. Maybe someone is
planning on us staying longer, and making sure we get thoroughly attached to as
many people as possible!!
Well, I’ve
written this offline, so now I’m going to see if I can get a decent internet
connection to post it. We really enjoy hearing from everyone, and will try our
best to always reply, but I imagine as of tomorrow things will start getting
busier and we might get a bit slower about responding. But it doesn’t mean we’re
not thinking of you all and appreciating your emails and comments on the blog.
It is wonderful to hear how welcoming the congregation. I am sure that there will be an "interchange of encouragement" and that you will both feel at home in no time. Hopefully we will get to meet them.
ReplyDeleteWow, an 11 year old regular pioneer? That's amazing! It sounds like you're having a very warm welcome (in more ways than one). :) x
ReplyDelete