While Charley teaches one of our friends how to make bread, I thought I'd blog a little. I haven't talked much about any of our field service experiences so I'm going to try and remember one or two for you.
The campaign to distribute the invitations is going well. We've done the territory once over already, so now we're just working it with the offer of the magazines, but also asking if the person received an invitation since we still have some left. About half the people say they haven't. That's mostly because there are usually 2 or 3 families living in one house, so you could visit a house 10 times probably and talk to someone difference each time.
I had a really good call last week with the son of a lady I've been visiting. His name is Luis and we talked about the end, what events will lead up to it, etc. He couldn't accept the idea that I presented to him that the punishment for sin is simply eternal destruction. We read Romans 6:7 and he understood it, but still couldn't accept it. Eternal death didn't seem like enough punishment to him. So, I'm going back this weekend to share some points from that article we had about hell-fire in the November 2012 Watchtower. We'll see how that conversation goes. He was very nice though, and didn't want to argue, he just didn't see how it was just for God to just destroy someone if that person had done something awful like kill someone.
I have a few studies who say they're definitely coming to the Memorial, and the others I've invited and will be reminding them and going over the information on page 206 of the Bible Teach book this week and next so that they know what it's all about.
I'm still having a lot of fun studying with Mirna & Yuliana. Yuliana was asking a lot of questions about baptism the other day, about how we do it and how you qualify for it. She seemed rather interested in our Special Assembly Day that we have this Sunday, so we'll see if she decides to come. She was impressed with the Whole Association of Brothers video that we watched. She recently took an exam to try to qualify for a place in Radiology classes at the University where she studied to be a doctor. When we were talking about it before the exam, and how there were only about 12 spots available, I was saying that one of the things I like about the career I chose (the full-time ministry) is that there was no exam to get in, and there's room for everyone! The next week she told me she didn't qualify. She was disappointed, but then she said she was remembering what I said about how Jehovah has room for everyone in his people. Hopefully she'll decide to make that her career one day!
I also watched the Organized video with another study, Dulce (yes that means Sweet, that's her name). She was majorly impressed at how organized we are, and how the whole organization runs on voluntary donations. That astounded her!
I can't think of any other experiences as of late although I'm sure there have been some. I started a new study but didn't find her last week so I'll talk about her another day after I see whether she's going to continue or not.
One last thing I did want to mention though was a scripture from our Watchtower study a couple of weeks ago that I just thought was wonderful. It was like I was reading it for the first time, which maybe I was, I don't know. Or maybe just because it had new meaning for me. It was the December 2012 edition in the last study article. Paragraph 9 was talking about how Abraham kept his eyes focused, not settling down to become a permanent resident in some nation. And then it quoted Hebrews 11:14, 15. I thought that was just the most amazing scripture, and verse 16 too, and I'm determined to always think of it whenever I feel a little homesick. When my studies ask me when we're leaving, I realize how I don't want to leave these people behind, how I want to continue helping them. That helps put any little bit of homesickness away too.
Well, that's all for now. Hope you're all doing well and look forward to hearing how the Memorial season is going in your part of the world.
Wow Rachel what an encouraging thought! It is all too easy to think back about what we have left behind. When we compare it however to the blessings we enjoy now in the ministry and what Jehovah has in store for us in the future; well there really is no comparison! Thanks for sharing...
ReplyDeleteHi Rachel. I'm a lurker to ur blog, which I really enjoy reading. But couldn't pass up the comment u made about Abraham. After reading this last night, we were listening to the 2013 yearbook today and was tickled by page 159. Keep up the great work! My family hopes to move there in the future, Jehovah willing.
ReplyDeleteSara, from Crescent City, FL
Thanks for pointing that out in the Yearbook. Isn't it strange that I had read that, but it didn't sink in until I studied it in the Watchtower. Probably because I read the experience in the Yearbook without actually looking up the scripture. Just like Hebrews 4:12 says! That's exactly why I plan on reading the Yearbook for a second time!
DeleteWell said, Rachel. I never really thought about that scripture before either - I'll definitely keep it in mind from now on!
Delete