Got up around 6:20 again today and decided to take a running water shower instead of a bucket bath! Well, I figured that a cold shower couldn't be THAT bad really. I thought I'd just get right under the water and get over the initial shock really quickly. But, it took my breath away so badly that I thought I was going to pass out from not breathing, so I just got wet enough to wash my hair and self, then rinsed as quickly as possible, and that was that!
After breakfast we went out in service. I went on a couple of studies with another sister we just met today, Diana. I didn't drink coffee this morning in the hopes that it would stop me needing the bathroom once we were out in the territory. So much for that. As soon as we got to the study I was dying to go again. So just before we left the first study I asked to go. I knew it was going to be pretty basic since her house was tiny with dirt floors and a fire outside to cook on. I should have taken a picture of where I went! It was just a sort of a small well, small enough to stand over, with a bit of a makeshift wall that I could see over. Anyone that happened to look through the bushes behind me would have seen quite a sight if you know what I mean! But it was a big relief and really not that bad at all.
The girl she started a study with today at that house was very interested. She reads very well and was very quick to understand what she was reading. It's just amazing to see how people live though. Just this little one-roomed house with dirt floors and her little girl in what I'd call a makeshift diaper. The people are so humble and have so little. You really take things for granted until you see how others live.
So, at 11am we all met back up. Here I am with Wanda walking along the road back towards the house where we left the car in the morning.
We decided to stay with Sergio and Alexandra since they were staying out all day. It was a bit cloudy, as you can see in the picture, so we grabbed our umbrellas and off we went. We hadn't even got to the first studies when the heavens opened. And it RAINED AND RAINED!!! I didn't get a picture of my feet, but the dirt from the road was splashing up all over my feet and legs. I was a mess! It washed off in the rain as we walked though. Charley got to put his new waterproof boots to the test and they passed! His feet remained dry, although his pants were soaked around the bottom. We went back to a brother's house, but he couldn't hear us knocking so we couldn't get any shelter. We got drenched despite the umbrellas. So we decided to get on a microbus which is a 12 seater bus that they fit about 25 people in and it picks you up and drops you off anywhere along the way for a quarter.
Here's what my skirt looked like by the time we got back to the house.
It's very cool up here in El Crucero area and humid, so my shoes are still as wet now as they were when we got home 9 hours ago!
So, there ended my service for the day. Charley went on a study later on with Mario. It had stopped raining by then, but we didn't have any way to find out where Sergio and Alexandra were so maybe next Wednesday will work out better!
We spent the rest of the day just hanging out, studying for the meeting, eating lunch and dinner. Mario went down to the assembly hall at the branch to practice the drama. He was in the drama for the English District Convention but at the last minute they asked them to do the Spanish one too for three weekends, starting this Sunday. He just got back and probably got soaked because it's pouring again.
Tomorrow, the plan is to go to the branch - it's closing November 1st so we arrived just in time. The Robleto's son Philip and his wife Louisa are there, so we'll visit and eat lunch with them in their room since they're not serving lunch there now. Few of the Bethelites are still left there now. And then hopefully we'll got to Masaya where the volcano is.
Well, that's it for now. We get to fall asleep now to the sweet sound of rain.
Rachel, I love your tie-dyed skirt! :)
ReplyDelete