We started out the day by having breakfast together. Wanda (who we're staying with) made a fruit salad. She also made a big mess in the kitchen! The milk here comes in plastic bag and Wanda had a hold of it by the corner, and then cut the corner off to open it. But she only had a hold of it by the corner!!! So needless to say, there was a big splash and milk was all over the floor. I guess she was still sleepy!!! Charley said he thought about grabbing a hold of it, but then figured that surely she knew what she was doing! haha!! I laughed and laughed and laughed about that - after I cleaned it up! Anyway, so Charley made pancakes as you see in the following picture. Despite the look on his face, he does actually know how to use a spatula and made some yummy pancakes.
So, just before 8:30 we drove to a pioneer couple's house to meet for service. They have a nice big two-story house and it appears that's where we were going to stay originally but things didn't work out and I think they'll have to move out of that lovely house before too long.
So we met for service, just like back home really. We had a pretty good group of about 12 in the end. Here are some of us outside the house ready to start walking to the territory and studies.
| Left to right - Charley, Mario Jr., Sergio, Alexandra, Mario Sr. and Mariano. |
I went with Alexandra, who is in the picture above, to a study. We had a nice time. The lady comes to the meetings now too. By then the two cups of coffee I drank with breakfast had worked their way through my system and I couldn't wait. So I got to use the 'latrina' which is an outdoor toilet. It actually wasn't bad at all though. I've been in MUCH worse portapottys in the States. Then off we went walking to meet up with the rest of the group in the territory.
Charley worked with Sergio and got to talk to a few people. The first house Alexandra and I went to we got talking to a man until it was time to leave the territory again. But I did get to join in the conversation a bit. So I didn't actually get to take a door myself but that's ok for the first day! It was nice out. Got a little warm when the sun came out, but then it clouded over again. Here is some of the group in the territory. It's very pretty around here.
We were out in service until just after 11am. Then we went back to the house. Griselda came with us, and another sister, Liset was there cleaning when we arrived. So we all had lunch together with them and their kids who came home from school at noon.
After lunch we went to a hospital in Managua to visit a brother who had a motorbike accident and had to get about 5 pins put in his leg. They just operated yesterday but they sent him home today. It's a hospital for anyone, but the military operate it. So they wouldn't let us in because visiting is from 4-5pm - yeah, ONE HOUR!! And it was only 3:30 when we got there! Strange rules and short visiting hours!! Anyway, they let Mario walk in while we sat in the car outside. Then he came back and said they were letting him go home but that they needed help getting him into an ambulance! So, yeah, now that they needed our help, they let us all in with the car.
So, we went and waited and then an "ambulance" came to get him. He brought this really skinny stretcher on wheels, whatever you call those things! And this brother isn't particularly skinny. He's not massive, but he's bulky, plus his leg is all bandaged up really big. So, it took six of them to get him on to the thing. Then getting him into the "ambulance" which was just an SUV of sorts with no back seats in. The bed thing got caught on something and the guy just didn't seem to know what he was doing. Anyway, in the end the brother got safely home. I didn't take any pictures of all that - didn't think it was appropriate since I'd just met him and his wife 10 minutes before!
So, by the time we got home around 6pm it was dark already! We ate dinner at here we are. Ready for bed at 8pm!!! Tomorrow is a longer day out in service so I'm told. So we need to get some rest. Lots of walking ahead of us tomorrow.
In the first picture of the field service group, Hno. Robleto Sr. looks like George Washington in the painting of Washington crossing the Delaware. :) I love the photos, and the stories!
ReplyDelete