Haga clic aqui para traducir nuestro blog a español

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Catarina, Granada & WalMart - Monday, October 25, 2010

Monday was a wonderful day. We got to be tourists all day.


The plan was to leave by 9am, which of course didn't happen. So around 10am we got on our way. I had been doing some research online and come up with some places I wanted to see. So we started out going to a lookout point in a little town called Catarina. That's where I took that panoramic picture that I posted yesterday. I took that with the little Kodak point and shoot we bought. You take three pictures and it stitches them together for you. And it does it very well. It was beautiful up there.






We also did a little shopping up there and bought some really nice gifts that I can't imagine how we'll fit in the suitcase, but it was too good an opportunity to pass up!


From there we drove to Granada. The Robleto's weren't familiar with the area we stopped and asked for directions about every three blocks until we found the center of town! This one old couple gave us directions. They were hilarious. Couldn't understand a word they said because they talked over each other and contradicted each other! They were pretty old too.

So, once we situated ourselves we went to find somewhere to eat. We ate a little place called Cafetin Claudia. I was dying for the bathroom by the time we got there and first thing I see is a sign that says "No Servicios Sanitarios" - AAAHHH!!!! No bathrooms. But we sweet-talked the waitress into taking me. They didn't have any running water so I was the only one allowed to go since four of us wanted to. But I was pronounced the most desperate! 


In Cafetin Claudia - I couldn't get Wanda's attention!
From there, we headed back to the Granada's central park. Every town has one. People hang out, sell stuff, and pass the time there. 


Center of Granada, the oldest city in Nicaragua - 1524
While taking pictures in the park we were approached by a young man, Gabriel, offering us a horse and carriage ride for an hour for $10 for all of us. Pretty good deal really. It costs five times that in downtown Indy I think. We declined but he told us which one was his and kept his eye on us. We eventually decided to go ahead, and although someone else tried to get us, we kept our promise and went with Gabriel. He was a sweet, young kid, probably in his late teens still. But very knowledgeable about the sites of Granada.


We started out at the oldest building in Granada. Here it is. 




Then went around the city seeing various churches and other historical landmarks. It was a nice tour and fun being on the horse and carriage. A little bumpy at times, but enjoyable! We felt like proper tourists!






Wanda had already suggested we take a lancha (small power boat) out on to Lake Nicaragua to do a tour around some of the many islets there are. So Gabriel has an uncle that has a boat, and we managed to get a good deal with him. He took us down to the lakefront in the horse and carriage, and came on the boat with us as a guide, and then took us back to the market where the car was parked. All for about $20 for the whole group. Mario Sr. didn't come with us. He doesn't like water. But it was well worth it. The lake was calm so nobody got sick.




Some of the little islands have natives on, and others have been bought by rich people. Three fleshly brothers who run the big coffee company around here, Presto, each have their own island. Then we arrived at La Isla de los Monos - Monkey Island. A rich doctor who owns the island next to it had monkeys, so he bought this little island for them to live on. We got to watch them bouncing around all over the place. Only the spider monkeys though. The cappuccino monkeys are really shy so we barely caught a glimpse of them.





We saw some other wildlife too, some of which I didn't manage to get a picture of. But we did see these Gallinas del Agua - Water Chickens translated literally!!




It was a beautiful trip. I could have floated around for hours on those calm waters.


When we got back to the central park we couldn't find Mario Sr. so we went La Merced church and climbed the 70 steps of the tower to get a beautiful 360 degree view of the city. It was worth the climb which was an easy one, except for Wanda. But she made it!


Going up the first set of steps


By then, the sun was setting and it was time to head home. We stopped at La Union which is basically WalMart. We ate something there, then bought a thing or two. 


Charley just got home from service. I didn't go out because I have a cold. But it's not too bad. Just woke up with a really sore throat and headache. My nose is a bit runny too. Charley said they spent most of the time helping the special pioneer couple that are leaving to load up their things. They weren't here long before they were reassigned again. But another couple are due to be here November 1st so hopefully we'll get to meet them and maybe even spend some time with them. 


I'm finally going to get ready now and have some lunch. I got up, had breakfast with everyone, then went back to bed for an hour. But I'm supposed to be ready at 2pm to go on some studies with Patricia. She's coming in a MotoTaxi. I haven't been on one yet. I'll have to get a picture of it. They're funny, tiny little cars that everybody honks at and gets past because they don't go very fast. But they're cheap and in abundance. It's a good way to get around without having to get on a crowded bus.


So, on that note, off I go. Hope everyone is still enjoying the blog. To see all of the pictures you can go to http://picasaweb.google.com/poet879/NicaraguaOctNov2010#

2 comments:

  1. Those pictures are beautiful! Looks like ya'll are having so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so enjoying your blog. I can't imagine seeing the monkeys without a big net between you and they! That is so cool! I'm sorry you're feeling under the weather. I hope that you get to go rural. Your pictures are great, and tell such a story.:)

    ReplyDelete